Each week the students will visit the library to check out books. The books need to be returned the following week. If the students return their book, they will be able to check out a new book. The students are responsible for any lost or damaged books.
When can I go to the library?
- Students go to the library once a week for 30 minutes with their class.
- Students are also allowed to visit before school between 7:45-7:55 a.m., and after school from 2:21-2:40 p.m.
How many books can I check out?
- Kinder and 1st graders are permitted to check out 1 book per week.
- Students in grades 2-6 are permitted to check out 2 books per week; additional at the library media specialist's discretion.
What should I do if I damaged or lost my book?
- Please contact the library media specialist as soon as possible to make arrangements to replace the damaged or missing book.
What is a lexile score?
- Lexile measures help you find reading materials at your child's unique reading level.
- Visit www.lexile.com for more information.
Click the Online Library catalog link here to see if a book you would like to read is available in our school library. You will be directed to choose a school. Choose Villa Park under Elementary Schools and then click on the Catalog tab at the top of the page.
Overdrive is the district's online library resource where students may check out ebooks for their reading pleasure.
- Students are able to check out titles that are strictly designated as age or interest level appropriate. First time users will be asked to supply a birthdate for this reason.
- Students are able to check out up to 3 titles which automatically return after 3 weeks.
- Students may place a hold on up to 3 additional books and will be notified through the Overdrive account when those titles are available.
- Overdrive can be accessed through Single Sign On (SSO) on the district's homepage, or by clicking here.
Scholastic READING COUNTS
Reading Counts is a highly motivating reading activity used at Villa Park Elementary. After reading a book, students take a computerized quiz that will assess how well they understand the book. Students are awarded points based on the number of correct answers and the length and difficulty of the book. While we encourage student's use of Reading Counts, we strongly encourage students to read for pleasure over book point value.