Orange, CA – September 11, 2019 – A tragic, single vehicle collision occurred at El Modena High School on Monday that resulted in the death of a student.
Facts surrounding the incident:
- On the day of the incident, September 9, the student was never left unattended. He was with his 1:1 aide, in addition to a second aide, when he entered a parked golf cart. These aides immediately tried to persuade the student to exit the cart and tried to stop it as it sped forward and ultimately crashed.
- Emergency responders were immediately called and took about 4 minutes to arrive. The student was transported to the hospital, where he later in the evening passed from his injuries. A communication was sent on September 10 to the El Modena High School Community to express condolences and offer support services, including grief counseling.
- There were no other students involved in this accident or anywhere near the scene.
- Orange Unified is working in full cooperation with the Orange Police Department as they complete a motor vehicle accident report, which is standard procedure.
- We are respecting the privacy of the family and are continuing to review all of the circumstances surrounding this terrible accident.
This heartbreaking accident has devastated our Orange Unified family, and we continue to offer our condolences and support to the family.